Friday, April 24, 2020

Shiller Math: First Impressions

So, for Dot, I decided to give Shiller Math a try.  It's a logical choice for us, since I am very familiar with the Montessori method.  I have Association Montessori International (AMI) diplomas for ages 0-3 and 3-6.  I love Montessori math.

Here are reasons I didn't try Shiller with her brothers:

  • The materials are a little plasticky and flimsy looking, compared to the Montessori math materials you might use in a classroom.  
  • I had more enthusiasm for planning lessons 10 years ago.  Now, I want to pursue my own hobbies and interests in my free time.  
  • It's an investment!  It's economical in the long term (about 5 years of math lessons), but in the short term, it costs a lot.  
  • I just didn't think that a whole big program was necessary; I just wanted to adapt as I went.  This worked fine.  All the things that my boys did (games, conversations, Montessori lessons, Life of Fred, homeschool classes) produced good results; they've each always had an excellent conceptual understanding of math, and both are confident in their abilities and have been able to adapt to working in a classroom setting.  

This is why I got Shiller Math for Dot:

  • I need the scripted and systematic lessons at this point in my life.  I have books I want to read, crafts I want to create, volunteer work, chores, kid activities to drive to, and I just don't have the headspace and time for a lot of planning.  
  • Shiller Math is a solid system of concrete and developmentally appropriate math lessons.  I want Dot to think that math is fun and to understand what she is doing.  At this age (kit is for ages 4-8 or so), children need to explore and touch.  No drilling, and the system is designed to be encouraging rather than corrective.  
  • The materials are not a fancy Montessori classroom quality, but they are attractive enough and good enough.  
  • I am more willing to spend money on curriculum these days because I have become a better judge of what works for me and our family and what will actually get used.  I'm happy to have a kit that will last several years.  
Review after one day of use:  We got through the first 8 lessons, and Dot and I had a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to going through all the lessons with her over the next few years.  

The long view:  My plans (always subject to change) include Shiller Math through about age 8, followed by Life of Fred elementary series and perhaps computer games, followed by math classes at a homeschool co-op in middle and high school.  All of this is mixed in with a lot of conversations and answering questions about math in daily life.  I never have to try to "work in" math concepts; they seem to come up all the time on their own.  It helps to be married to a mathematician who is capable of answering anything I can't.  

I'll update on Shiller when we've used it for a few months, but I'm hopeful that it is a good choice for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment