Friday, April 24, 2020

All About Reading: Pre Reading: An Initial Review

Like many parents who have homeschooled for many years, I have become increasingly wary of early academics, but I do believe in following a child's interests.  I would have been content to hold off on letter learning until age 6 or 7, but Dot has already picked up a lot on letter names and sounds, asks about the names of letters, and seems highly motivated to learn about them. 

What we tried already:  Sandpaper letter cards, learning the sound names for the lowercase letters, playing sound games.  I did this in my Montessori-trained way, but she really didn't take to it, especially the sandpaper letter cards.  I think it's more exciting to learn this way in a classroom with a teacher.  We have always read to her; she gets at least 3 books every night at bedtime. 

We are about 9 lessons into All About Reading so far, and Dot has really taken to it.  She asks to do it every day.  She likes both the activities and the special time with mommy. 

What I like so far: 

  • It is scripted with no prep from the parent (other than punching out the notecards.)  
  • I am already comfortable with the method, since I did several years of All About Spelling with my boys.  
  • The materials are attractive.  I like the letter posters that we have put on the wall.  
  • It is systematic and logical and based in research on how children learn.  It is a good phonetic foundation.  
  • It's gentle and encouraging and short, just a few minutes a day.  
  • We have been having fun with the rhyme games and letter coloring.  
  • I'm enjoying reading Dot the included poems.  

Possible Disadvantages:

  • Not sure the coloring sheets would have ever held my boys' attention.  But there are supplemental activity suggestions (like making the letters out of clay or pipe cleaners) that could be even be a substitute.  
It seems a perfect program for children ages 4-7 (or even older) to introduce pre reading skills.  Again, I would not rush it and would not use this or any program with a 4 or 5 year old who wasn't showing interest.  I would just stick to reading them picture books, maybe playing some fun sound games, and wait a bit on letters.  If your child is interested and developmentally ready for pre-reading skills, I think All About Reading Pre Reading is an ideal program!  

No comments:

Post a Comment