Friday, April 24, 2020

An update: Homeschooling through Pandemic

I'm surprised I hadn't posted in so long!  Last year was the only the year I didn't write an end-of-year update about what worked and what didn't.  I only officially homeschool one child now. 

Bee now attends public high school, which has its advantages and disadvantages.  Ironically, of course, he's home right now due to the pandemic.  My husband is working from home and trying to help him get his work done.  Bee has diagnosed attention issues, and I've always been hesitant to write about those in this blog, out of respect for his privacy.  I will say that when school starts up, we will resume getting his 504 plan in order.  Bee is a brilliant and creative person, and it's hard to fit him into any sort of system.  Overall, public high school is probably the best environment for him right now, since he so adamantly wishes to attend a traditional school.  But not badly done distance public school at home in a time of pandemic. 

Bug is in the 6th grade.  He takes a few outside classes (math, writing, art, PE) and reads a ton of audiobooks.  He has learned a lot this year, both academically and about keeping up with assignments.  His teachers have been able to transition to online pandemic learning easily and well.  He even has karate on zoom.  I feel like he needs more history and science than what I've done this semester, and I'm thinking about doing a couple of "camp" weeks after his classes end (but before the public school system ends).  I am thinking documentaries, cooking, and outdoor activities of some sort.  And it would need to include Dot. 

And Dot is almost 5 years old and an amazing little person!  A very talkative and happy little person.  The laws in my state do not require she attend school for a whole other year, so while she's technically about to be kindergarten age, she won't be officially homeschooled until the 2021-22 year.  However, she is so interested in letters and math that we have started some kits in this pandemic time, since we are home so much and a little bored.  We have All About Reading pre-reading, and we just started Shiller Math.  I'll write about those in separate posts.  I tried very hard to hold off on any sort of formal learning, as I really think kids don't need early academics, and can even be harmed by them sometimes, but she is ready and excited to do these things.  And they are hands on, gentle, and fun for her.  She is really helping me to get my homeschool mojo back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment