Friday, April 24, 2020

Record Keeping for the Relaxed Homeschool (Updated)

So, I have used many systems of record keeping over the past years.  I have gradually ditched most of them.  I do not keep daily, weekly, or monthly records.  For the past several years, I have kept semester written reports of work accomplished, yearly standardized tests, copies of my declaration of intent to homeschool for each year, and immunization records.  All three are in a big binder.

What is the purpose of these records:

  • A sense of accomplishment for me and the children.  
  • In the case of the tests, an objective measure that the children are being educated, should proof be necessary for any reason.  If possible, I have them administered in a community setting by an outside administrator.  
  • Information to create middle or high school transcripts or to apply for academic programs.  

My records do go above and beyond what the state requires.  The state requires records of yearly progress reports and standardized testing every three years.  I make semi-annual progress reports and test each year.

The state homeschool association does recommend daily attendance records, which have never really made sense to me to keep, since the children never stop learning.  I have tried to mark attendance in the past for days of more formal academics; perhaps I will again, but I've never kept up with it for an entire school year in 11 years of homeschooling. I'm glad that it's not mandatory.

Each semester, which covers a 6-month period, so that summer activities can be counted, I write out my plans for each child.  I write them in the past tense so that they can be used for the semester progress report.  At the end of the semester, I make changes to the report, based on what we accomplished.  My reports include titles of books and textbooks, major projects and papers finished, outside classes taken, and field trips.  I write them in paragraph form by subject and include qualitative comments about each child's strengths and accomplishments.  At the end of the academic year, I print the reports and store them in the binder.   I did not and do not use grades, as I do not find them useful in a homeschool setting.  I do not make or keep any sort of academic records for preschool or kindergarten, since they are not mandatory, and I can't think of a use our family could have for them.

I always feel good seeing the written reports about my children's academic accomplishments.  That has been their main benefit.  They also proved immensely useful to me when I had to submit middle school transcripts for Bee to his high school.  Vaccine records are useful to keep in one place for summer camps or school admission.

Homeschoolers have very different thoughts about what records should be kept, and states have different requirements.  As a child advances in grade level, the more likely it is that records may be needed for program admissions.  Some parents keep work samples in a portfolio and keep attendance records but may not write reports.  Some parents think grades are very important and keep detailed gradebooks.  Some parents do a good job of keeping qualitative daily records of their children's learning.  Some prefer not to test their children due to learning differences or personal beliefs about testing, and only test the minimum amount required by their state.

If you can answer yes to all three of the following questions, then your record keeping system is working for you:

  • Are you able to keep up with it with a minimum of stress and a sense of accomplishment?
  • Does it meet your child's needs for admission to programs?  
  • Does it satisfy your state requirements? 


No comments:

Post a Comment