Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Unit Study: War

Well, Bee has been obsessed with war and weapons for some time.  He only wears camo shirts, which I think it cute, and it makes clothes shopping for him very simple.

I've never been extremely interested in war myself, but I am trying to support his interest.  The cool thing with learning about war is that there is ton of other history that goes with it.  He's going to a war reinactment summer camp(!) for child his age.  Also, his dad has been reading him Band of Brothers before bedtime.  I assume that my sweet husband is editing any inappropriate parts, but I don't know for sure.

He's obsessed with the documentary America: The Story of Us.  He's allowed to watch TV (especially documentaries) when he gets up before everyone else, and he's been watching this over and over.  We're also starting Ken Burn's The Civil War, which I find fascinating, but so far, he thinks it's boring.  I'm hoping he'll start to like it, because my husband would like to take him to some nearby battlefield sites, and the background would really enhance the experience.

But frequently with Bee what I think will be great isn't, and he tends to find his own way, which is often much more interesting than anything I ever would have thought up.

No comments:

Post a Comment