Tuesday, May 15, 2012

caterpillars

We have some little Painted Lady caterpillars to observe as they grow, spin cocoons, and turn into butterflies.  I know homeschoolers who go out and get the proper plants and catch their own caterpillars, but, I'm afraid, this year, I decided just to go with what I knew: the caterpillars from Insect Lore.  The boys were thrilled when they arrived in the mail!  Next year, maybe I'll use dill and get swallowtail caterpillars from my garden. 

Keeping and releasing caterpillars was something I had planned to do every year with my children, and I did it once when Bee was about 2 haven't gotten around to it for the past 6 years.  But the great thing is that, in my now toddler-free home, I do not have to worry about anyone grabbing the container and shaking it (as happened to my praying mantis egg sac one year, thanks Bug). 

No comments:

Post a Comment