Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pick Your Own

It's springtime and strawberry season here!  Several local farms offer strawberry picking--what a perfect homeschool field trip, both for a single family or for a group.  For some reason, I hadn't gotten around to doing it in years past!  I took my older son, Bee, yesterday.  We picked 2 pounds of strawberries, and I made 18 cups of freezer jam from them.  I hope my family likes the jam!  I'd love to make more and have our own homemade jam year round.  I used Splenda, since my family watches our sugar intake (I'm probably prediabetic.)  I love the freezer jam. 

My boys are pretty familiar with the life cycle of plants.  They have planted many a seed and harvested many a vegetable, but it's always good to get out and see things growing.  I did talk with my son about how the strawberries in grocery stores are shipped 3000 miles from California, even though we have strawberries growing right here. 

A fun and educational experience.  I love anything that gets my indoor boy outside.  The same farm offers peaches each year, and they also sell seasonal vegetables.  I am going to shop there more now that my boys are a little older and easier to cart around. 



No comments:

Post a Comment