Wednesday, February 28, 2018

DreamBox Math for Homeschool: A review

I decided to let Bug (10 years old, 5th grade, gifted) try DreamBox math for a semester and see how it goes.  With a toddler in the house, I have been really needing programs that take the teaching load away from me.  About two months in, I am extremely pleased with this program.  It is completely game-based and designed to be used indepedently.  He seems to enjoy it, and it has identified some areas that we had not worked in sufficiently (mainly geometry concepts).

It is common core based, and it "forces" children to learn and use a variety of strategies.  I think it's developing his number sense and mental math skills, so that is great with me.  It does a good job of assessing his level in various concepts and keeps track of what standards he has completed.  I will be able to print out a graph at the end of the year for his portfolio to show what work he has done.

It's very visual and uses a lot of virtual manipulatives.  He can work at his own pace and doesn't have to repeat things that he already knows.  I'm happy to use this program through middle school if he continues to enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment