Saturday, July 30, 2016

Three Weeks of Spanish for You!

After 3 weeks of Spanish for You!, I am still very happy and impressed with the program.  It gives me the structure that I need, and it is easy to adapt and modify to my children's needs. 

Because Bug's age level moves more slowly than Bee's, my original plan was to supplement Bee and keep him at the same pace as Bug.  However, after three weeks, Bee has clearly mastered everything in lesson 1, so we are moving onto lesson 2, giving him more vocabulary and more practice with different verbs.  And we'll just keep moving him on. 

So, what I'm liking about Spanish for You! is the focus on constructing sentences and learning through play.  It is better to practice making sentences out of a few words than to learn a whole lot of words and not to be able to use them.  The latter is what I experienced in my language classes in school. 

What I am not liking is how cumbersome it is to go through the folders and files and print everything. 

Also, we heard the author say "listo" on one of the native speaker audio files, and Bee and I were quite honestly appalled at her pronunciation, which is far worse than mine (or Bee's).  I will not be using any of her non-native speaker audio files.  I'm sure that the author of this excellent series could improve her pronunciation with some lessons online .

Another thing I don't like is that this is Spain Spanish rather than Latin American Spanish. 

But let me qualify my complaints by saying that this is by far the absolute BEST curriculum for I have found so far for teaching my own children at home, and I'm extremely grateful for it, feel that my money was well spent, and I intend to buy more in this series.  It has given me the structure that I need to work with my children on Spanish at home. 

I do NOT think it is better than having them learn from a native speaker, but I just need a break from having so much of our day scheduled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment