Friday, June 17, 2016

Looking for Planning System

So, I am in the process of searching for a homeschool planning system for this year.  There are certain things that I want us to stay accountable for. 

I've read lots of homeschool blog entries about how many great options there are out there.  Well, I consider myself to be a pretty tech-savvy person, and I have to say, that I don't think the options out there are that great.  My only theory about the good reviews is that a lot of people receive free software in exchange for writing positive product reviews and positive blog posts.  

I've tried two of the more expensive programs: Homeschool Planet and Homeschool Tracker, and I have to say that I found them both to be clunky, dated, and nonintuitive.  I'm just not impressed and not willing to invest my time or money in either of these. 

I've tried a number of free planners out there and other free trials for paid software and have not been especially impressed either. 

The best thing I've found so far, I think, is not a software.  It is the free planner available at The Homeschool Mom.   It has PDF's that you print out.  There are a lot of good pages there to print.  I can make it "digital" by taking a picture of each week and sending it electronically to my kids.  I am interested in both the weekly assignments for the 8 months of the year that I plan to give them, as well as the unschooling record, for the 4 months of the year where I don't plan to give assignments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment