Saturday, June 2, 2012

By Example

Both of my boys are rather contrarian.  If I try to get them to something, they automatically resist.  I find it's often better just to go along my merry way and enjoy the things I do rather than make an effort to involve them in it.  For instance, if I go out happily to my garden and start working, one of them frequently wants to join me.  The more begrudgingly I accept, the more enthusiastic they are.  If I make a big announcement about what I'm going to do and invite them to go with me, they tend to want to stay inside and do other things.  This is especially true for Bee.  Bug will actually accept my invitations sometimes. 

For nearly Bee's entire life, I have tried to get him interested in jigsaw puzzles.  I think they are a good activity that promotes concentration, and I love to do jigsaw puzzles.  Bug has always liked puzzles, but not his brother.  When I have attempted to get Bee to do a puzzle, he tends to react with disdain.  He, do a puzzle?  Never!  How boring!  Inconceivable!  Well, my husband and I put together a 1000 piece puzzle on our vacation and brought it home with us.  When Bee saw it, he wanted to do a 1000 piece puzzle too and is now very enthusiastic about puzzles.  I got him a 250 pice puzzle (that he finished with help), and we're going to work up to 1000 piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment