Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Reading, Writing, and Math with a Planner

 

As a very last-minute gift, I ordered Dot a planner for Christmas.  I found a kid's planner from Erin Condren, and I bought it because I like planners (especially bullet journals), and I hoped that Dot would find it fun as well.  She has been really excited about it, and it's one of the gifts that she has shown the most interest in. 

I was looking for a planner that was monthly because weekly seems like a little too much for an 8-year-old.  This one has all sorts of fun pages for kids to fill out about themselves, so it's a little bit like a diary as well, and it will make a very cute keepsake. 

I also liked that it came with sticker pages for each month.  This means that the planner is not specific to any month or year.  Dot has to put the month sticker in and then all of the numbers, which is good for her.  Simply by using the planner, she has been practicing her reading, writing, and math (calendar/time) without knowing that she is doing any sort of school. 

She has had a wall calendar for a long time.  I got that for her because she kept asking me "how many days until..."  Having a wall calendar allowed her to write important dates on it and seemed to alleviate some of her anxiety.  I'm hoping that planner will help her to feel a little more in control of her life as well.  

Mostly, though, I'm just happy that we have a shared hobby and can sit on the couch together and do planners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment