Saturday, August 26, 2023

I homeschooled while attending seminary full time


 Yes, I homeschooled for a full year while attending seminary full time, while my husband worked from home.  I nearly lost my mind, my husband nearly lost his mind, and the children learned!  We survived!  We took the summer off, and we are ready for another year.  I can't believe I haven't updated this blog in so long.  Bee (age 19) took a year off to work, and now he has gone away to college. 

I just finished writing up my yearly progress reports for Bug (age 15) and Dot (age 8), and I also wrote out plans for the coming school year (which are the rough drafts for next year's progress reports.)  

I'm so glad we are still homeschooling.  I never expected to have kids with special needs, but Bee has ADHD, Bug has characteristics of autism, and Dot has a reading delay/possible dyslexia (something I never anticipated).  I think that all three of them are intellectually gifted, which is both wonderful and complicated.  For spiritual, academic, and emotional reasons, I do think that homeschooling has been a good decision for all three of them.  It has not always been perfect or ideal or easy.  I hope that this blog (however poorly updated) shows something of our struggle.  

We have been homeschooling for 12 years, and it has been a joy and and a struggle, and so many times I have questioned myself, but right now I am just thankful to God and to all of the wonderful parents and teachers who have helped us on our journey

No comments:

Post a Comment