Saturday, May 9, 2020

Shiller Math: After 27 Lessons

Dot and I have completed 27 lessons on Shiller Math, and we are loving it so far.  She begs to do it most days.  I'm thrilled because it is such a nice program.  It seems thorough, gentle, and, just like in a Montessori class, it's learning through exploration. 

As a trained Montessori teacher, I find the materials a little different, and sometimes things are scripted in a way that aren't quite the way I was trained.  That's okay, and I just make adjustments. 

The Shiller material, like Montessori material, is diagnostic.  Because it isolates concepts so effectively, it is easy to tell what a child has mastered and also to see what concepts she might need more work on.  I quickly learned that Dot needs to practice counting a little more and gain a little confidence in counting numbers over 5 (which she finds slightly overwhelming). 

I am love with the Montessori "bank" material.  Of course, I love the golden beads used in the Montessori classroom, and the blue plastic units are growing on me too.  It gives me a thrill that she can now identify which ones are the tens, hundreds, and thousands.  Such a fun thing for a 4-year-old to be exposed to.  I enjoyed watching the kids with these materials when I was a student teacher.  They love playing with the large quantities.  Dot likes to play with them outside of our lessons, which I think is great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment