Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Tweaking our Planning/Record Keeping Yet Again

I am forever changing our planning and record keeping.  As my boys get older, I feel like it is more important to keep good records, but it doesn't come naturally for me.

I started the year with The Ultimate Homeschool Planner.  I really liked it at first but found that I didn't keep up with it well. 

I have found that a monthly calendar with a subject checklist for each day works well for Bug (4th grade).  I leave extra time on Fridays in case we don't get everything done the other days.  So that's our plan, and I can retain it as our record of attendance.

For Bee (8th grade), I tried using an weekly extensive checklist by subject for each week that I made in Google Drive and that he could check off online . This worked for a couple of weeks, and then it didn't.  He just stopped using it, and I couldn't seem to get him to start again. 

I have now printed out a monthly grid for him and am simply filling out a "reverse checklist" with what he accomplishes each day.  I typically only write the subject done, so not too specific.  He is doing math and Spanish daily, and we are blocking history, science, and English for the remainder of the year.

I will continue with a version of this system for as long as it works, tweaking it as needed.  Both grids are up on the fridge where I can remember to fill them out/check things off frequently.  And I only have to print them once a month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment