Saturday, July 4, 2015

Literature for 2nd and 6th Grade

Most of our reading has been informal.  We read to both boys when they were younger, and now they read to themselves.  This year, however, I'd like to do a little more with them. 

For Bee, I will be assigning him one book a month.  I thought of having him choose from a list of books, but he tends to get overwhelmed by too many choices, so I thought it better just to pick for him.  I have tried to choose books that I think he will really enjoy and that are also a little different from his usual choices. 

I will have him read about a chapter a day until he finishes the book each month, depending on the length of the chapters.  After he finishes, I plan to take him to a coffee shop to get him a treat on a weekend, and bring a list of book discussion questions, like having our own little book club.  I am drawing the discussion questions from the web in advance.  He will also have a writing assignment each month based on the book he has read.  

Here is his list:
  • August: The Giver
  • September: Harriet the Spy
  • October: Hatchet
  • November: Cheaper by the Dozen
  • December: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

These are all books that I read as a child, with the exception of The Giver, which will be new to me.  I hope this will be a fun experience for both of us.

For Bug, I went to the Five in a Row site and chose most of the books from their unit on longer picture books.  I'm not using the curriculum, but it was a good start for getting ideas on good books to read out loud.  I'll be choosing some others in addition. I'll try and make an update at the end of the semester about how it all went. 

Finally, I'd like to read them a poem a week, maybe on Fridays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment