Saturday, August 30, 2014

Our Eclectic Plans for 2014-2015 (Fifth and First Grades)

Image courtesy of kibsri at freedigitalphotos.net


I found it so helpful to write up my plans last year that I'm doing it again this year.  It is really interesting to look back and see what I thought would work and what actually did work.  I found that I held to my plans last year much better than in years past, which I think means that I'm doing a better job of making realistic plans.  For both children, I am very open to changing plans if our plan isn't working or if new opportunities become available. 

Bee, 5th Grade:
  • Reading: He will read books of his own choosing on a daily basis.  Books on subjects related to what he is studying in other areas will be available. 
  • Spelling:  We will continue All About Spelling, Level 4.  After that is complete, we will begin Level 5 and possibly complete it by the end of the year. 
  • Writing:  We will continue using a tutor at Writeguide.com. 
  • Grammar:  I would like to get some sort of workbook, but I haven't decided on one.  If I can't find anything better, I may just pick up something in Barnes and Noble in the second half of the year and work through that.  And hopefully we'll do some Mad Libs! 
  • Math:  We will finish up the Life of Fred elementary series and do Fraction and Decimals.  When that is completed, he will work on Math Minutes, 6th Grade.  We will also probably need to do some additional multiplication and division practice (long division and multi-digit multiplication).  Throughout the year, we will be listening to Schoolhouse Rock Multiplication in the car.  I still feel like Bee has to think too long on some of his basic multiplication facts, although I'm very pleased with his conceptual understanding in all areas of math. I will also be getting a math dictionary for his age. 
  • History:  We'll continue with Crash Course History of the World and probably begin Crash Course American History.  I have some field trips planned to historical sites.  I also plan for us to read selections from two biased historical texts for children and have Bee compare them.  
  • Science:  He'll be participating in a First Lego League team until we move.  After that, we'll do ASK science kits, visiting science museums, watching documentaries (including Cosmos), and he learns a lot through discussions with his mathematician dad.  
  • Spanish:  Bee will be taking private lessons on Skype twice a week through Homeschool Spanish Academy.  We'll be supplementing that with the program Risas y Sonrisas, Salsa Spanish, additional Spanish music, books, and TV, and some Reader's Theater Spanish plays that we'll be reading out loud together. 
  • Music:  He will continue his piano lessons until we move.  After that, I may take over as piano teacher for a while.  We'll also be listening to music in the car, changing the theme with each month (such as a different composer).  We did this for part of the year last year, and I'd like to pick it up again.  
  • Art:  Undecided at this time, but I'd like to find a class of some sort in the city that we are moving to.  
  • PE: Lots of outdoor play.  I am going to insist that they choose some kind of structured activity to do at least twice a week this winter. 

Bug, First Grade:
  • Reading: He will read books of his own choosing on a daily basis.  Books on subjects related to what he is studying in other areas will be available. 
  • Spelling:  We will continue All About Spelling, Level 2, which we started over the summer.  Bug is pretty excited about it.  I've noticed that this program makes both of my boys feel very good about their learning. 
  • Writing: Undecided.  Probably a mixture of some age-appropriate prompts and just "draw a picture and write a sentence." 
  • Grammar:  Mad Libs.  He will be doing some sentence dictation as a part of his spelling program and will practice some capitalization and punctuation there. 
  • Math:  I have two workbooks for Bug to work in.  One is called Math for the Gifted Child, Grade 2 and the other is Math Minutes, Grade 2.  Both were inexpensive books available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.  They serve our purposes in giving some practice.  Throughout the year, we will be listening to Schoolhouse Rock Multiplication in the car.  I will also be getting a math dictionary for his age.  Bug asks a lot of math questions and learns a lot about math through conversation and daily life. 
  • History: We'll be doing field trips, reading some history books, and Bug can color history coloring book pages while his brother watches Crash Course History. 
  • Science:  He'll be participating in a Junior First Lego League team until we move.  After that, we'll do Magic School Bus science kits, visiting science museums, watching documentaries (including Cosmos), and he learns a lot through discussions with his mathematician dad.  
  • Spanish:  We'll be using the program Risas y Sonrisas, Salsa Spanish, additional Spanish music, books, and TV, and some Reader's Theater Spanish plays that we'll be reading out loud together.  
  • Music:  We'll be listening to lots of music in the car, changing the theme with each month(such as a different composer).  We did this for part of the year last year, and I'd like to pick it up again.  
  • Spanish:
  • Art:  Undecided at this time, but I'd like to find a class of some sort in the city that we are moving to.  
  • PE: Lots of outdoor play.  I am going to insist that they choose some kind of structured activity to do at least twice a week this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment