Saturday, September 22, 2012

Our Worm Bin: An Update

I had a comment asking for an update on our worm bin.  We got a Worm Factory about three months ago and stocked it with 500 red wriggler worms.  We are not squeamish and keep it in oun den, next to a love seat.  I had a homemade bin in the past, so was not new to raising worms. 

The bin is doing great.  There are lots of worms of different sizes, so I assume they are reproducing well.  I added the second tray on a couple of weeks ago, and many of my worms have already moved up there.  My youngest child enjoys feeding his banana peels and apple cores to the worms.  I am putting more and more of our kitchen scraps in there, and I think eventually it will be able to absorb the majority of them.  Some kitchen waste will still need to go in the outdoor bin, such as garlic, onion, and citrus pellings.  I tear up lots of cereal box-type cardboard for the bedding.

There are structured "worm activities" out there, but I haven't looked into doing them. The children just know the worms exist, they eat are garbage, and produce castings that we can use in the garden.  Worms are a fun addition to any homeschool (or home). 

No comments:

Post a Comment